You are here: Home > News & Press Releases 

Holiday Tips from the Building Department

11/21/2022

 

We have hit the time of the year where we are heading into the holiday season.  It is a time that many people start to brighten up their homes with many lights and colorful decorations.  It is important to keep in mind that overloaded receptacle outlets and undersized electrical extension cords can cause a fire or electrocution danger.

The following are a few tips to keep in mind as you increase the electrical load in your house.

  • Never overload electrical cords or power strips. Electrical cords and power strips have a designated load capacity. Be sure the total amount or energy used by appliances and lights plugged into the cord or strip does not exceed that capacity.
  • Use only listed power strips that have integral overland protection and have been tested by a product safety laboratory.
  • Don’t use appliances that have damaged cords.
  • Extension cords should not be used as a substitute for permanently wired receptacle outlets.

Electrical cords must be the proper wire size for the load they serve.  Overloaded cords will become hot and can start a fire.  Avoid permanent use of extension cords.  Appliance cords and extension cords are susceptible to physical damage from foot traffic, furniture, house pets, swinging doors and many other causes, so protect them from damage.



Village of Moreland Hills | 4350 S.O.M. Center Road | Moreland Hills, Ohio 44022 | P: (440) 248.1188 | F: (440) 498.9591 | Contact UsSitemap | Powered by the Dept. of Information Technology