Child Identity Theft
More than 500,000 children had their identities stolen in recent years. Your child’s identity can be stolen from Medical Records, an Obituary, or a Social Security Number.
The stolen identities can be used for:
- Immigrants seeking to establish an illegal identity
- Someone with bad credit trying to establish new credit
- Scam artists trying to make money off of you
If your child’s identity is stolen, follow these steps:
- Contact credit issuers
- Keep a log with date, name, phone number, & title of each person you speak with and a summary of the conversation
- File a police report & request copies
- Consider changing your child’s social security number
IF YOUR CHILD HAS NOT WORKED, THEY SHOULD NOT HAVE AN EXISTING EARNINGS REPORT OR CREDIT REPORT!!!!!
How to prevent your child’s identity from being stolen:
- Disclose personal information carefully
- Shred an y paper with your child’s social security number
- Have all bank accounts require a photo id and password for all transactions