The Moreland Hills Historical Society
Moreland Hills is fortunate to have a volunteer group, The Moreland Hills Historical Society, resolute on connecting the past to the present and making a dynamic history tangible and meaningful for generations to come.
In January 1830, Abram Garfield built a cabin in what is now Moreland Hills. A year later on November 19, 1831 James A Garfield, the 20th President of the United States, was born. Our Village Hall grounds contain a replica of that cabin which has been visited by hundreds of children and historians from all over the country. The members of the Moreland Hills Historical Society donate their time and knowledge to provide an opportunity to learn about Garfield and the early days of the settlement of this area.
I am proud to say that I am a “docent” at the Garfield cabin. With this title comes the obligation to open the cabin to guests on one Saturday each year for 3 hours. It is such a small donation of time for me.
Although I am a docent and a resident of Moreland Hills for 25 years; I am not, (yet) a member of the Moreland Hills Historical Society. Adding insult to this embarrassing fact is that the annual membership dues are so affordable!!!
Are you a member supporting the efforts of this fine group? Probably not; you see, our Moreland Hills Historical Society has only 30 members!
It is time for the residents of Moreland Hills to take responsibility for this important legacy. What can you do to help?
- Learn more about James A. Garfield and share your knowledge.
- Visit the cabin and attend events designed to educate our community.
- Become a member. Mail the membership form today and show financial support.
- Mail your Check for $10.00 per individual or $15 per family made payable to Moreland Hills Historical Society to 4350 S.O.M. Center Road, Moreland Hills, Ohio 44022 (The membership form is available online.)
- Become a docent. It’s fun! You’ll meet new people, understand our history, and YOU will be helping. No experience necessary. Call Sandra Vodanoff 216.752.7581 or Village Hall at 440.248.1188
- Purchase an engraved brick for $60 which will become part of the walkway to the Garfield Cabin. These make a great gift and a personal legacy.
I wish to take this opportunity to thank Katie Martin, President of the Moreland Hills Historical Society and the other few members for their invaluable time and effort and their vision to preserve our history.
125 Murwood Drive