Personal Safety Tips
The following tips can help you maintain your safety while you are away from home.
- Be aware of your surroundings. Don’t be embarrassed to make a scene if you feel threatened.
- Stay in lit areas when in parking lots, parking structures, streets, or stairwells.
- Keep your keys in your hand while walking to your vehicle, and lock the door as soon as you get in.
- Avoid looking through bags and looking at cell phones. Criminals target individuals who appear distracted and are easy to surprise.
- Do not leave valuables in your vehicle, such as a GPS unit; navigation units often have stored addresses which could lead a suspect to your home.
- Travel with a companion, or ask someone from the business/residence you are visiting to watch you walk to your car.
- Do not stop to pick up hitchhikers. If you believe someone needs assistance, call 911 and report the situation.
- While exercising outdoors, keep headphones out of your ears or on a low volume so you can hear someone approaching. Vary your exercise route and try to stay in well illuminated areas that are well traveled.
- If you see a suspicious person, do not hesitate to report them to authorities.
- If someone approaches you that you do not know, to toe the nearest business or residence.
- Minimize the amount of time you spend at an ATM. Stay alert of your surroundings and individuals who are loitering in the area.
- Keep purchases locked in your trunk and out of sight.
- Keep photocopies of your credit card and banking information at home in case your purse or wallet is lost/stolen. Keep these photocopies in a well secure location.
- Keep receipts with you, not with your purchased items.
- Accompany your children EVERYWHERE!